Just before I start getting into the details I would like to say that this tiny jar has became one of the most precious little gifts I have ever received. Every time I look at it, it makes me smile. It brings back great memories, looking at it warms my heart because I know that there is a place out there where I have so many people I love and miss every day.
Two years ago I moved to the Midwest, far away from my friends, family and even farther away from my comfort zone. I never really expected it to be a place that I will ever like and this is not only because of the freezing cold weather but also because sometimes I do not have a SUPER positive outlook on things (I have been working on changing this). So I never really needed a reason to hate the idea of the Midwest, I just decided to do so. Bad bad attitude.
Little did I know that I will fall in love with the kind, caring people I meet, will get used to wearing 7 layers outside, will be okay with being on my own in a dorm room, and will cry my eyes out when it is time to leave.
But let’s focus on this adorable jar that is filled with 29 unusual date ideas I got from my team, friends, and family on my “surprise” bridal shower this May. I am still overwhelmed with all the love I received that day and I am not only talking about the fantastic gifts but the smiles, the hugs, and all the people that came to spend that day with me.
Being Hungarian, I never really participated in a bridal shower, didn’t even really know what it was all about but I got lucky enough to have friends in my life who thought I can’t leave without actually experiencing my own! I was scared out of my mind for a little bit because I didn’t really know what to expect 😀 But delicious appetizers, drinks, hanging out with friends, and receiving fantastic presents…doesn’t sound too bad 😀 (and since I am a spoiled little brat I ended up having two bridal showers…you can read more about my other one in my Chicago post 🙂 )
And this is how we arrive to this cute little jar. This was one of the presents, which besides its actual purpose of giving date ideas, also became something that represents all the great memories I have made in those two years and reminds me of all the people that I let close to my heart.
So here are the 29 date ideas ♥ – I wish I knew who wrote which idea 😦
- make a “travel money” jar (yesyesyes)
- go to the airport and watch the planes go in & out…dream and guess where they go ( love dreaming and planning where to go on our next adventure)
- rent a kayak/canoe (always loved kayaking so this is perfect)
- volunteer for a good cause (animal shelter is what we were thinking about doing and food bank this christmas)
- play a board game (always!)
- go for a hike, bring picnic (love hiking and food )
- memorize Pi (math…Ben loves it but might be a little hard; a lifetime challenge since there are infinite digits)
- naked hoola-hoop (hahahaha whaaaat?)
- discover a new restaurant (food…always a great idea)
- find a free concert (!)
- go to the zoo (such a sweet idea)
- bake and cook together (we have been actually doing this a lot and love it)
- go to the lake and skip stones (why am I so bad at this?????? Ben skips stones at every body of water we go to)
- watch a Nicholas Sparks movie and cry (I’ll have to tie Ben to a chair but since we must do all, I guess it will happen)
- take dance lessons (salsa it is)
- plant a garden together and design a sign for it (so cute)
- read to each other (I have been practicing reading out-loud in English – I guess it counts…also counts as torture for Ben)
- bike to the botanical gardens (unfortunately there is none near here but will do this one day)
- couples work-out (…work-out..sigh…haha..)
- play skip-bo (a card game that Ben played a lot as a kid [My mother in law’s idea]) 🙂
- play tennis then get dinner out (love doing this one)
- wine taste (Ben doesn’t drink: soooo I taste, Ben drives:) )
- go skinny dipping in a lake (muahaha we might as well just take the hoola-hoops with us)
- day trip to the city (a must)
- sunset hike + beer (can we break this down to “Ben hikes” and “I “beer”?”)
- get tattoos (might be a little extreme for us, but fun if you like tattoos)
- bury a treasure (can’t wait to bury something super weird…it would be nice to see the face of someone finding it)
- picnic on a beach at sunset (love love love)
- sample every ice-cream shop in the city (heck yes)
So these are the ideas, we definitely love them and are working on doing every single one on the list…not sure about the naked hoola-hoop yet 😀
Aaaaaaand the jar -being so cute- is also a perfect decoration item in the living room!
I can honestly say I left a piece of my heart behind. Thank you for everyone who has been part of my journey, my friends that became family, the girls and the guys team, my foster parents, all the other awesome parents I met, my co-workers, bosses, hall- and dorm mates….everyone.
I love you all and we shall meet soon!!!
P.S. If you think of any other great ideas, please comment below :))